Current:Home > MarketsIsrael lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease -VisionFunds
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 12:13:33
Israel on Monday began allowing thousands of Palestinians to return to the heavily destroyed north of the Gaza Strip for the first time since the early weeks of the 15-month war with Hamas, in accordance with a fragile ceasefire.
The opening was delayed for two days over a dispute between Hamas and Israel, which said the militant group had changed the order of the hostages it released in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. Mediators resolved the dispute overnight.
Separately, Israeli forces in southern Lebanon on Sunday opened fire on protestersdemanding their withdrawal in line with a ceasefire agreement, killing at least 22 and injuring 124, Lebanese health officials reported.
Hours later, the White House said Israel and Lebanon had agreed to extend the deadline for Israeli troops to depart southern Lebanon until Feb. 18, after Israel requested more time to withdraw beyond the 60-day deadline stipulated in a ceasefire agreement that halted the Israel-Hezbollah war in late November.
Israel has said it needs to stay longer because the Lebanese army hasn't deployed to all areas of southern Lebanon to ensure that Hezbollah doesn't reestablish its presence in the area. The Lebanese army has said it can't deploy until Israeli forces withdraw.
Palestinians who have been sheltering in squalid tent camps and schools-turned-shelters for over a year are eager to return to their homes -- even knowing that they have likely been damaged or destroyed. Many had feared Israel would make their exodus permanent, and expressed similar concerns about an idea floated by President Trump to resettle large numbers of Palestinians in Egypt and Jordan.
Ismail Abu Matter, a father of four who had waited for three days before crossing with his family, described scenes of jubilation on the other side, with people singing, praying and crying as they were reunited with relatives.
"It's the joy of return," said Abu Matter, whose family was among the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who fled or were driven out of what is now Israel during the 1948 war surrounding its creation. "We had thought we wouldn't return, like our ancestors."
Hamas called the return "a victory for our people, and a declaration of failure and defeat for the (Israeli) occupation and transfer plans."
The ceasefire is aimed at winding down the deadliest and most destructive war ever fought between Israel and Hamas and securing the release of dozens of hostages captured in the militants' Oct. 7, 2023 attack, which triggered the fighting.
Israel ordered the wholescale evacuation of the north in the opening days of the war and sealed it off shortly after ground troops moved in. Around a million people fled to the south in October 2023, while hundreds of thousands remained in the north, which had some of the heaviest fighting and worst destruction of the war.
Defense Minister Israel Katz said Israel would continue to enforce the ceasefire and that anyone violating it or threatening Israeli forces "will bear the full cost."
"We will not allow a return to the reality of Oct. 7," he wrote on the platform X.
Israel had delayed the opening of the crossing, which was supposed to happen over the weekend, saying it wouldn't allow Palestinians north until a female civilian hostage, Arbel Yehoud, was released. It also accused Hamas of failing to provide information on whether the remaining hostages set to be freed in the first phase are alive or dead.
Hamas in turn accused Israel of violating the agreement by not opening the crossing.
The Gulf nation of Qatar, a key mediator with Hamas, announced early Monday that an agreement had been reached to release Yehoud along with two other hostages before Friday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that the hostage release - which will include female soldier Agam Berger - will take place on Thursday. That release will be in addition to the one already set for next Saturday, when three hostages should be released.
Hamas also handed over a list of required information about the hostages to be released in the ceasefire's six-week first phase.
Starting at 7 a.m., Palestinians were allowed to cross on foot without inspection through part of the so-called Netzarim corridor, a military zone bisecting the territory just south of Gaza City that Israel carved out early in the war. A checkpoint for vehicles was to open later with an inspection mechanism, the details of which weren't immediately known.
Under the first phase of the ceasefire, which runs until early March, Hamas is to free a total of 33 hostages in exchange for the release of nearly 2,000 Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. The militants have released seven hostages, including four female soldiers early Saturday, in the current ceasefire, in exchange for more than 300 prisoners, including many serving life sentences for deadly attacks on Israelis.
The second - and far more difficult - phase of the agreement hasn't been negotiated yet. Hamas says it won't release the remaining 60 or so hostages unless Israel ends the war, while Netanyahu says he's still committed to destroying the militant group and ending its nearly 18-year rule over Gaza.
Hamas started the war when thousands of its fighters stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting another 250. Around 90 hostages are still inside Gaza, and Israel believes around a third are dead.
Israel's air and ground war has killed over 47,000 Palestinians, more than half of them women and children, according to Gaza's Hamas-run Health Ministry. It doesn't say how many of the dead were combatants. Israel says it has killed over 17,000 militants, without providing evidence.
Israeli bombardment and ground operations have displaced around 90% of Gaza's 2.3 million people, often multiple times, and flattened entire neighborhoods.
- In:
- Israel
- Cease-fire
- Gaza
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (964)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- No secret weapon: Falcons RB Bijan Robinson might tear up NFL as a rookie
- Live Updates: Women’s World Cup final underway in expected close match between England and Spain
- Drug dealer sentenced to 10 years in prison in overdose death of actor Michael K. Williams
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Kids Again: MLB makes strides in attracting younger fans, ticket buyers in growing the game
- Two people die in swimming portion of Ironman Cork triathlon competition in Ireland
- Washington state wildfire leaves at least one dead, 185 structures destroyed
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- School's starting — but many districts don't have enough bus drivers for their students
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Pilot error caused the fatal hot air balloon crash in New Mexico, NTSB finds. Drug use was a factor
- Marvin Hayes Is Spreading ‘Compost Fever’ in Baltimore’s Neighborhoods. He Thinks it Might Save the City.
- Hawaiian Electric lost two-thirds of its value after Maui wildfires. And it might not be over yet, analysts say
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Scam artists are posing as Maui charities. Here's how to avoid getting duped.
- Search for Maui wildfire victims continues as death toll rises to 114
- Fire tears through historic Block Island hotel off coast of Rhode Island
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
'1 in 30 million': Rare orange lobster discovered at restaurant in New York
Federal investigators deploy to Maui to assist with fire probe
Hawaiian Electric lost two-thirds of its value after Maui wildfires. And it might not be over yet, analysts say
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Chikungunya virus surges in South America. But a new discovery could help outfox it
Yellowknife residents wonder if wildfires are the new normal as western Canada burns
Nordstrom Rack Early Labor Day Deals: 70% Off Discounts You Must See